Boston Number Guidelines
Guidelines for Boston Marathon Number Distribution **Revised for 2016**
1. Available marathon numbers will be divided equally between male and female runners.
2. Marathon number recipients will be chosen via a lottery to be held at the Fall COOKOUT held in September.
3. Actual number applications will be given out at our end of the year Banquet.
4. To be eligible for a marathon number a candidate must meet the following criteria: Eligibility year runs from
September to September unlike our club membership which runs From January 1 to December 31.
5. Be a member of the Shamrock Running Club for at least 2 years prior to the date of the number drawing.
6. Must have completed either a marathon or half-marathon within 1 year, (12 months) prior to the drawing.
7. Dues must be paid in full for the years prior to and the year of the Boston Marathon (if you are entering the
lottery for a 2016 number, your dues must be paid in full for 2014 and 2015).
Candidate must have volunteered to work (not just run!) at least two of the Club-sponsored events listed below*:
New Year’s Day Race (Run Your Hangover Off)
Boston Marathon Expo (April)
Kickin 4 Kids (May)
BAA 10K (June)
Irish American Hospice Race (October)
BAA Half Marathon (October)
Mill Cities Relay-water stop (December)
Other events which may arise, subject to Board approval
* Members who volunteer in more than two events will be given one additional chance for each event they
volunteered. For example, a member volunteering in 3 events will be given TWO chances in the lottery.
5. Members cannot receive a marathon number more than once in two years. (If you received an official number
for 2015 you are not eligible for the lottery again until 2017).
6. Numbers are non-transferable and must be used by the recipient. If the recipient is unable to participate in the
marathon, he/she must return the application immediately to the Board so that it may be assigned to an
7. Winners of the Shamrock Running Clubs invitational numbers are required to purchase and wear a Shamrock
Running Club singlet at the Boston Marathon
8. In the process of determining eligibility for marathon numbers, the Board may at its discretion make exceptions
to the above guidelines.